Bob Spencer, with forty-five (45+) years multi-level lndustrial background, both in the field and in the classroom, brings experience and a wealth of knowledge in fluid power to the student. Working for such companies as American Brass, Keller Machine (special machines – design and build), Barber-Coleman, Ronco Communications, and as GM of Elevator Maintenance of Buffalo (NY) gave him opportunities to learn at the feet of the “masters.”
He worked for one of the largest cylinder and hydraulic manufacturers In the country as an in-field Sales Engineer and District Sales Manager before starting his own successful hydraulic and pneumatic representative/distributorship in Southern California In 1989. It was sold In 2005. He has been solely teaching and consulting since. He co-wrote and re-Introduced the “College of Cylinder Knowledge” for Miller Fluid Power.
His passion is to help train those working in fluid power to work smarter and safer, as according to the “Fluid Power Safety Institute” less than 2% of them are adequately trained.
- US Navy – 6 years
- Many years experience in hydraulic, pneumatic and complex electrical controls, design, sales and troubleshooting high-speed automated industrial equipment.
- Experience in temperature controls, elevator controls, complex electrical controls and sound equipment.
- General Manager for Elevator Maintenance of Buffalo. As General Manager had total responsibility for running and operating the business, …. and as the Chief Troubleshooter.
- Sr. Territory Manager and District Sales Manager for Miller Fluid Power. Helped re-write the “College of Cylinder Knowledge ….. and presented same to new salesmen and also took it into the field to train customers in fluid power.
- Took the seminar to the Southern CA area (with a transfer) and taught hydraulics and pneumatics to over 285 companies, such as McDonald Douglas, TRW, Bentley Labs, Flexible Metal Hose, Industrial Parts Depot, Solar Turbines, Teledyne Ryan, Frito-Lay, Knott’s Berry Farm Foods, Pacific Conveyor, US Navy, US Army, Water Districts, Dam Projects, Rohr Industries, Corp. of Engr. and General Dynamics to name a few …… and continues teaching fluid power to various industries around the country, both as Spencer Technical Innovations and as an Independent (Training Specialist) contractor for other companies. Presented his seminar to over 750 various companies as and independent contractor and as Spencer Technical Innovations.
- President/owner of Spencer Technical Sales – Designing, building and supervising Installation of, and debugging hydraulic and pneumatic systems. The company sold In 2005. Soley training and consulting since.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor of Science – University of Buffalo
- Aviation Mechanics – Burgard Vocational High School (Buffalo NY)
- NavPers Navy training courses, Fluidpower (hydraulic & pneumatics), Electrical, and HVAC
- College Courses while in the Military
- Electrical Controls – Erie Community College and Special classes
- Applications Engineering, Temperature Controls etc. – Barber Coleman
- Hydraulic/Pneumatic Applications Engineering Courses – with hands-on hydraulic and pneumatic troubleshooting and training- Miller Fluid Power
- Capitol Radio Engineering Institute – Electronic Controls
- Dale Carnegie Sales Course
- Persuasive Communications Course
- Fred Pryor Management Course – Team Management